Hygge: (pronounced Hoo-ga) is the Danish word for "cosiness" (feeling warm, comfortable, and safe) that comes from doing simple things such as lighting candles, baking, or spending time at home with friends and family.
Denmark is often ranked the happiest country in the world, and many put this down to Hygge. Although there is no direct translation of the word, there are many ways to describe Hygge, and the easiest way is to see it as enjoying life's simple pleasures and refers to "a form of everyday togetherness". A way in which the Danes make Hygge their way of life, is to create a cosy, relaxing atmosphere, and enjoy the company of their nearest and dearest. The popularity of Hygge has exploded over recent years and has now started to make its way into British and American culture.
Words that may come to mind when describing Hygge may include cosiness, friends, candles, warmth and happiness. Here is our little guide on how to Hygge:
- Light candles. As soon as the sun goes down, candles are lit across Scandinavia, aiming to create a cosy atmosphere away from the dark landscape outside. Candles are the number one association with Hygge. Our Woodbridge candles are perfect for this. The gentle, cosy fragrances and simplistic look will relax you as soon as you light the wick.
- Presence. Turn off the TV, put down your phone and enjoy the moment you're in. Many of us are guilty of staring at a screen too much, so try to watch less, and talk more.
- Pleasure. What better way to create a cosy atmosphere than to curl up with a hot drink? If hot drinks aren't your thing, light one of our Creamy Vanilla Candles instead and feel just as indulgent.
- Comfort. Soft, chunky knitted throws make you just want to snuggle up! Take a break and relax.
- Togetherness. The Danes have a very sociable culture, and Hygge for them often revolves around friends and family. Chat about your day, share a meal.
View our extensive candle collection and add a little Hygge to your home.